Friday, October 23, 2009

Week 6 Blog 1

We began to watch The Thing. I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t make the connection (or lack thereof) between the opening slide stating the setting was winter in Antarctica and the fact that the movie was set in daytime. I’ve been to Antarctica, so I should’ve been the first to notice this incongruity. As the movie progressed, it grew dark. The only time this happens is during Fall or Spring in Antarctica. Someone forgot to mention that to the Producer. I assume they added the “winter” part to make the setting seem more remote. Maybe. I’m pretty sure the movie was filmed in Canada though.
My first thought upon seeing the men shooting at the husky from the helicopter was “Oh God! Sarah Palin has branched out and is now advocating the shooting of dogs from helicopters along with wolves! I hate that woman. If she ever becomes president or vice president I’m moving to another country. Maybe Germany, they have some good tech firms there, although that might involve learning another language…
I hate it when movies such as this one disregard scientific fact. Nothing can simply grow larger and larger while maintaining a constant density and not obtain materials from outside sources. This means that for the dog-Thing to grow, it needed to consume more raw material, which it wasn’t doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment