We finished The Thing. Interesting movie to say the least. I liked the test MacReady (weird name) used to determine which of the humans were infected. One thing he did say was that only a few cells were needed to infect a host. When the blood exploded in the glass he was holding, it splattered on his face. Therefore he must be infected. Yet, for the rest of the movie he shows no sign of being infected. Maybe he just got really lucky? Somehow I fell the director overlooked that small detail.
Another problem I have with the test scene (I seem to complain a lot…) was that the blood moved. Blood is just blood, even if it has been altered by some alien-thing. There are no muscles in blood no way for it to move by itself. It could hardly exhibit such a huge burst of energy as was shown when it exploded. Also, how was the blood aware that it was being burnt? Only the cells touching the hot wire would be harmed, the rest would be alright, not even feeling any effects of the heat.
Assuming that they could all somehow know that they’re getting burnt, where is the brain of this mass of cells? What determines okay, now we’re all going to push down, somehow linking our cells together and launch all of us into the air? It’s just not possible. After analyzing some of the scientific points of the movie, I feel pretty safe…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great work! Continue to maintain your high standards for SF that doesn't insult your intelligence with incorrect scientific explanations. Your sandking thoughts was a fun read. Try adding links, video or images to add to your considerations.
ReplyDelete29/30