Thursday, September 10, 2009

Week 1 Blog 1

After reading The Weapon, I’m a little more scared about the future. I’ve always thought that humans have far too much destructive power for their own good. Nuclear weapons should never have been made, yet their creation was inevitable. After one country creates nuclear weapons, there needs to be another country to balance it out. However, if there were no nuclear weapons, the world would be a much more peaceful place. The ability to destroy not only thousands of humans at once but to also destroy the land, making it uninhabitable is simply scary. From what I can tell about human beings, they are generally rational as individuals, but get a few together and make them a group and suddenly they can believe almost anything. If people can be convinced that blowing themselves up is good not only for them but for all their people, they can definitely be convinced that blowing up a nuclear bomb is good too. Human beings are simply not wise enough to understand that any use of nuclear weapons is bad for everyone. The peace-advocating, anti-ultimate-weapon man had the right idea, (not that I’m advocating giving mentally impaired people loaded revolvers) that people need to be shown that we are not yet capable, not yet wise enough, to be trusted with nuclear weapons.

No comments:

Post a Comment