The message from TDTESS was very similar to The Weapon: humans currently do not have the wisdom to deal with the weapons they create. As I previously stated in Week 1 Blog 1, I agree with this message.
One of the things I really loved about TDTESS was the way Klaatu introduced himself to Professor Jacob Barnhardt by completing an equation Barnhardt had on his chalkboard. As a future engineer and a person who thinks scientifically and mathematically, I can appreciate the cleverness of this method. One problem with this form of introduction is that the likelihood of an entirely independently developed civilization having the same, or even remotely similar, symbols for mathematics is extremely unlikely. For instance, if the alien species developed with 8 fingers instead of 10, it is likely that they will have developed a system of mathematics with a base of 8 as opposed to our 10. The aliens would have a very small chance of being able to understand our mathematics, let alone complete a complex equation.
Gort was amusing. First, he was very impractical; the human shape is really only practical for humans. There are much better methods of locomotion and moving other objects than the human body functions. More than 2 arms, say 4 arms, would be about twice as functional as the human shape. A future civilization would probably understand this and make sure their robots had more than 2 arms.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment