Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Week 3 Blog 1

We finished watching Frankenstein. I enjoyed the movie, although it had some minor problems with it. During the movie, whenever a monster was created, whether it was the original monster or Frankenstein’s wife brought back to life, it seemed that the Doctor hacked it up far more than was necessary. For instance, his wife’s face was perfect (except, of course, for the hair) yet he still hacked it up and sewed it back together for no particular reason. If simply sewing a head to a body will work, why should there need to be any alteration to a fully-functioning face? This gave her an utterly horrible appearance. I wonder how the Doctor could stand her, let alone dance with her. And does it not seem extremely selfish of him to try to bring her back from the dead? True, some people should have lived longer and not died an untimely death, but to reach into the gaping chasm that is death and to bring back a person, placing them in a horribly disfigured body seems cruel and selfish. If I were to die tomorrow, I would not want to be brought back to life if it meant permanently disfiguring me. For the life I would lead could hardly be called a life at all. Gaping strangers, people purposefully avoiding me… How could one live like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment